Monday, January 27, 2014

Floating

Ok well it seems that floating has become my most favorite thing to do here in the Ozarks, coming from the Chicago, the idea of sitting in a canoe and just floating down a river seemed to be a crazy idea. the first thing that comes to mind is the native Americans and how they used the canoes and the rivers for more than just a sport or summer activity. it took allot of convincing for me to actually go on what they call a float trip. once on the board with the idea you hear different perspectives on how  to float or what you need to to take in order to have a good time while on the trip , but I still had no idea what to expect. The first float I went on was with a group of girls that went to the cosmetology school with me. upon getting in the water it looked really suspect that I , the only guy was sitting in the middle of two girls rowing while I has almost in a fetal position wondering why i ever agreed to get on  this boat in the first place. being a city boy I'm not used to the great outdoors for real. I don't like bugs so the dragonflies and things quickly became and issue. learning how not to tip the boat over being I had two other people to worry about as well. but after the initial shock wore off and maybe the 3rd or 4th beer. I began to calm down and actually take in the scenery for what it was.... Beautiful. no cell phones ringing, no TV noise no traffic just the noises mother nature makes and silence from the world.. I call it unplugging.. its really nice to get away from it all and see new things. then you start to enjoy the people rowing in the boats next to you, the conversation the stories the sun tan lotion..lol being black that was something i never thought I would need until after that day as well.. didn't know we could get sun burned I wont lie, but this i do know now.. I always come with extra as well cause that is a painful thing I would rather not endure again. while out there in the water you learn to master your balance that way again you and the lunch you brought, plus the ever valued beer is something you definitely don't wanna lose being there is no 7 elven anywhere near where the river is. so you get accustomed to that as well. after I would say about 5 years of floating now its totally evolved, now I'm the expert, i have all the things necessary for me and anybody else coming along to have a good float. the kids love to go now as much as I do. we all love to swim and to play in the water so we make it a family event once every two weeks or for me if I had the choice I would go eveyweekend without missing  beat. but it does give you a sense of how things once were in the past, I find my self just floating down the river wondering what it may have been like to hunt n trap up in down the iver. or what I really wonder is when we go floating we have somebody in a bus take to us to a drop off and then pick us up, what did they do back in that time frame? talking about a long hike..lol

No comments:

Post a Comment