Friday, March 28, 2014

Cheesie Goodness






The joy acends as the sun peeks beneath the blinds, dancing on the ceiling making its way across the room to the squints in my eyes. Today is the day I get to see the dazzling white smiles, and energetic tones of excited loves ones. Why excited you say? Today  the magnificent cousin/uncle Carl is making his famous cheesie Potatoes. Dinner went from the intimacy of 2 people enjoying a night of delicious bliss, to a gang of ravenous, but enjoyable family members who even though, add joy to my smile, they also add chaos to the kitchen. In preparation for said madness, getting an early start is the only way to subside the waves of hungry guest entering my sanctuary asking the ever so familiar question , is it done yet? So to save me from the natural sarcastic responses that seem to roll off my tongue tongue and them from looking at me with disgust as they hear maybe and insult wrapped in a smile, I chose to get started while it was just me and the kitchen. Getting ready to mix n match some harmony with bliss. As I grab the giant  baking  potatoes from the pantry, chosen specifically for their girth, so fresh loose earth is still falling from the spuds. After a nice rinse, I channel my inner sailor and peel those things like its my duty. A nice salute to my favorite chefs knife, the trusty sidekick who is always sharp and on point. I'm very familiar with the art of Ginsu so slicing and dicing becomes a rhythmic game of precision. Now to prepare these spuds for a nice hot bath in a pot of boiling water, very important to the process to soften and release some of the starch.  As the water churns and bubbles bubble we turn our attention to the pan that will be their final resting place before being devoured in a carnivorous bur happy way. Here we add the ness to the delicious.This dish isn't for the calorie squeamish, we use real butter, cannot be substituted with I cant believe its not or margarine. They didnt churn that stuff when this recipie was made so we mae sure to stick with it. The cheese is all on you, personally i use the velet of cheeses, velveeta. Creamy smooth silky like texture and it melts very well once you added the right amount of milk. The next and most important part is my secret, so moving on, once the potatoes have cooked for at least 10 to 15 minutes they are ready for the immaculate bed of cheese,milk, and secret ingredients awaiting their presence so effortlessly. Give it a good mix  like martial arts, less the board breaking, you have to make sure everything is blended so all the ingredients meld well together vulcan style. With the oven preheated to the coveted 350, you place them inside the oven until the very top layer of cheese begins to brown, and you here the bubbling of the cheese and the sizzling from the oven. As well as  the people arriving closing their eyes and envisioning the last time the taste of these wonderful spuds danced on their tongues. You can almost feel them tasting them as they lick their lips while effervescently looking for plates and silverware. Once out of the oven, if you aren't mangled by the stampede of people, placing mounds of cheeiness on their plate and some double mounds, even the lactose intolerants of the bunch, you see the chef crack a smile knowing satisfaction is in the air in the form of joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment